Monday, December 17, 2007

The Running Man

Now if only I had a fancy gold onesy with Pro-Wing hightops. (From the age of 9 to 13 I only wore full velcro Pro Wing Hightops - I was stylin)

Another good run with this guy and this guy yesterday. Another 7-ish miles. Bryan made the observation that most people getting into running do one-mile runs for a few months and then maybe move up to 2 milers. I thank him and Brady for the compliments. I would also like to know the feeling of being a really fit runner. I'm sure it's just as nice as being a really strong cyclist. Knowing that you can take on and bury most people that you run/ride with, and still smile and be nice to them while doing it. Now that's a good feeling.

So my plan is to ride to/from work and run for my exercise. Running is really easy to do even if there's drifts of snow along the roads. Not so much with biking. Then, once the drifts rescind, I'll head back out on the roadbike. I think this is a better long term health decision. I've read of 60 year old male cyclists who have the bone density of an 80 year old woman. Cyclings great for aerobic system and the joints, but it's recommended that you get some impact training on you bones, whether that be running or weight training.

So that's my plan. Now the hard part is committing to it. It's kinda hard for me to be sitting there after work in my nice warm abode and get amped up for a run outdoors when it's 20-something degrees and dark. Hence the beginning of my belly and my need for slacker pants. Anyone want to meet up for group runs after 6pm??

10 comments:

bryan said...

if you show up in a onesie, I'm out.

munsoned said...

Oh come on now. If friends can't be comfortable with each others man-toes, then how can they really be friends?

Flintstone R Cube said...

Yeah sure, go ahead. Pretend like you don't have a dozen fancy gold onesies hanging in your closet. Whatever, Munson.
- Frank

munsoned said...

I don't have a dozen gold onesies. Maybe 8 or so onesies of differing colors, but not 12 gold ones.

And seriously, if our cycling shorts did not have padding, there'd be a lot of cameltoes atop bike seats out there. Know the Toe!

brady said...

Bryan -- your skinsuit with the ass-flaps is OK for the bike, but not for one of Munsy's winter runs? Hypocrite!

bryan said...

My skinsuit is neither gold nor shiny. That's what makes it OK.

brady said...

I suppose that I could take the #2 MAT bus after work to UNO and meet you for an evening repeat loop and peep show through the backside of the PKI dorms. This might even draw Fred out for his 2 1/2 weeks of getting back into shape.

munsoned said...

So Brady, would you take the shuttle from UNO down to PKI dorms so we could meet there? What time frame are we thinking?

I'd be up for a run today since I didn't do anything yesterday.

brady said...

I'll hoof it from the 60th & Dodge. However, tonight's not a good night as this requires a little advanced planning. How about tomorrow night? Your homework: do two loops tonight to check it out. With evil eye of critical judgment implied: don't be lazy.

munsoned said...

Ooookay. With head held low from guilt.