Monday, August 13, 2007

Man, why am I so tired???

I just can't understand it. All I did was commute to and from work last week. Then, starting early on Saturday, I rode for 4 hours ending around noon in the hot-as-the-ass-of-death midday sun. Then I spent a few hours at the bike shops, where I found the new '08 Lemond Poprad had come out. Really nice. So then I got a hankerin to build up my old cross bike. So I started on that which kept me up till 11pm or so.

Then Sunday, I again got up early to head down to Louisville for the Raven's Nest 5K trail run. I've never done a running race, so this was an experience. Bryan was my guide since he's an ex-competitive runner. We lined up near the front and started pretty fast (at least for me) when the gun went off. I stayed with the top 10-15 fast guys for a while, but about half way through, I got pretty tired and had to walk a few times. I got past a couple people at first, but then was passed by others toward the end. By the end of the race, Jonny and Ryan had ridden down to join me in an easy spin for about 45 minutes or so. When we got back, the race organizers were packing up. Bryan later emailed me and told me I got 2nd in my age group (20-29) and was 15th overall out of a little over 100 people!!! So, needless to say, I'm kinda liking this running stuff. I've only really been running for about 3 weeks, and I'm probably going to keep it up. It'll be nice to have a cheaper sport for a while. Save some money.

So anyway, after the race and ride, I head home for a much needed nap. After snoozing a couple hours, I hop up and get back to work on the cross bike. I'm wrenching away as the weather goes from a heat index of 100+ to a crazy storm with buckets of rain and huge winds. It was nice though since it dropped the temp a bunch. After picking up my woman from work and grocery shopping and dinner, I keep pluggin away at the bike. By 11:30pm, I'm nearly finished, but going cross-eyed from being so sleepy. I don't get to bed until 12:30 and decide that I'll finish the bike up after work the next day. Well 6am rolls around and I'm wide awake. I was gonna sleep in till 7:30am, but that wasn't happening. So back to work on the bike I go. I finish it completely right as it's time to head off to work. My saddle position and handlebar height are kind of off, but I can iron that out later on.

I wonder why I'm so tired at work now??? Coffee please!!!

6 comments:

bryan said...

Tired? Search me. Looks like you've been staying out of the heat and getting plenty of sleep.

brady said...

Good race, Mike, especially for just getting into the running thing. If you like those, you should try duathlons, or even triathlons if you swim. You'd really clean up there, especially after wailing on the bike portion. Congrats!

munsoned said...

Brady, the one thing about triathlons is that you have to swim. And see, I like to breath. And what is swimming? An exercise in not breathing and also working hard enough to require more breathing than normal. It just doesn't make sense to me. Plus, whereas most people swim parallel to the water's surface, I tend to swim perpendicular. Again for the sake of being able to breath.

Duathlons? A definite maybe. I'm trying to save money and cheap running races allow me to have an exercise goal. If I really got into duathlons, I'd want to get another TT specific bike, and the whole traveling to race thing, and money would just fly out the window as it has for the past 4 years.

Maybe I should get into competitive napping? That's gotta be cheap, huh?

brady said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
brady said...

Point well taken on the swim thing. As for the other, there's always a half dozen or so local duathlons each year. The Team Nebraska Triathlon group posts them on their website calendar. I might consider entering in the competitive power nap. I can recharge in about 6 & 1/2 minutes w/o drooling.

Jonny said...

Nice to hear the cross bike is up and running again... Now all you need are some rack for gear and we can do our Tour De Nebraska....