Friday, April 15, 2011

Progress

I'm happy to announce there's been some progress.

Riding home today, a car passed me on Leavenworth's left lane (I, of course in the right 3rd of the right lane) which contained a passenger that rolled down the window in rainy weather to yell, "Side Streets, BITCH!"

So yeah, significant progress.

1. The argumentative passenger was in a vehicle that was kind enough to make a full lane change to get around me. I've found most people do this nowadays. It also helps that I do take up a 3rd of the lane. There's not enough room to allow a cyclist and a car in 1 lane on Leavenworth (or many of Omaha's streets) so I take enough of the lane to require a full lane change to pass me. This is safer for all involved.

2. As the one sided argument went, I should seek out, and travel on side streets. This is a somewhat valid point. The side streets are probably significantly safer than the main streets, albeit substantially hillier. However, I was 4 blocks from joining Leavenworth's bike lane, and there's no real side street route to get to said bike lane. This argument is a huge upgrade from the old, "get on the sidewalk," or, "get off the road" admonishments. Had the conversation been 2 sided in a more relaxed situation, it might have went,

"I ride a bike to work."

"Oh really? I accept that riding a bike is a viable means of transportation, I only request that you stick to the side streets so the faster moving, heavier traffic could move along more expeditiously. Have a good day."



Well I can dream, can't I?

2 comments:

Scott Redd said...

I suppose that is progress, when you frame it like that.

Also, Leavenworth is kind of a side street. It's a 30-35 MPH street that runs parallel with Dodge and I-80. Parts of it are residential in nature.

You could have paraphrased a Princess Bride quote.

"You wish to drive you car on the side streets? Very well. I accept."

Stationcycles said...

Excellent Working Dear friend get more success in the name of LORD,
We have bikes for any budget that are very suitable for London Students. We frequently stock all styles of bicycles such as mountain bikes, hybrids, BMX, Kids, racers and road bikes. Some of the brands we have had in stock include; Claud Buttler, Dawes, Giant, Raleigh, Falcon, Tiger, Probike, Trek, Kona, Viking, Phyton, Specialized, Condor, Diamondback, Saracen. ,Carrera, Dawes, and many more.
second hand cycles in uk
secondhand bicycle shops london
second hand cycles in london
secondhand cycles in london
used bikes in london
used cycles in london
used bicycles in london
used bikes in uk