So maybe we jumped the gun on the whole Omaha to Kearney and back trip. If I had another month or so to train for it, I think my body could build up tolerances enough to make it. By the end of the ride yesterday, my legs were just kinda tired, but my bum, hands and feet were not doing well at all. My hands were getting tingly from my nerves/muscles wearing down. Shifting was very difficult by the end. Then, there was one point where I was a few blocks from home waiting at a stop light. It turned green and I stood to pedal, but when I sat down again, I almost yelped out loud. My rear did not want to be on a saddle anymore. I was beyond ready to be done.
The ride itself, up till the end, was great. Bryan had a good report of the ride (the Sunday one, not the pepper spray threatened one), but I had wanted to put in more miles for 2 reasons. One, I wanted to see what a century felt like since I was going to be doing a couple 180 mile days in a few weeks. Two, I had a Challenge on the www.plus3network.com website where I would win a pair of SRAM socks if I was one of the first 300 people to get 300 miles in. I wanted those socks and I wasn't going to waste any time getting them. So 105 miles had to be done. One thing Bryan did forget to mention was a fun little climb we did in the middle of the ride. After you head North from Pacific Junction and cross hwy 34, there's a road that heads straight up into the bluffs to someone's house. The road is gravel for the flat part, but then is nicely paved when the grade increases. My Garmin read 17% at one point. Granted, the whole climb was probably a block long, it was still STEEP but fun.
Riding back to Bryan's house was aided by a very welcome tailwind. We got there and I was feeling ok with 75 miles. I needed another 30 to reach my goal, and it was about 12 miles from Bryan's to my place. So I headed NorthWest toward Elk City. That of course, meant more headwind for the ride home, but I was ok with that. After mile 70, it's generally about just surviving anyway. So I headed out, turned around and was impressed that the wind didn't seem that bad. I think it had shifted to a more SSW wind by that point, so anytime I was heading East, I was getting a little bit of help. But again, by the time I was a couple miles from home, I was definitely feeling it.
So that really raises questions about the likelyhood of the big trip in 3 weeks. I'm thinking we should train for it over the winter and make it a big spring fling. Something to start the season off with a big bang. Plus then, maybe more people will be willing to join us? Maybe?